The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign (TBP) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and has two locations, one in downtown Urbana and one on the campus of The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The Bike Project is a non-profit, charitable organization of bicycle users whose mission is to educate and empower the community by providing a welcoming space to learn about bicycle repair, engage in maintenance practices, and promote safe operation through outreach and advocacy activities.
- We provide bicycle-related tools, materials, and knowledge to members regardless of their race, color, national origin, spiritual belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
- We promote the bicycle as an appropriate and a viable means of transportation for all ages.
- We recognize bicycling as a means to increase community spirit and quality of life.
- We acknowledge the potential for the informed bicycle commuter to transform the individual and the community.
- We advocate environmental preservation and conservation by encouraging the use of the bicycle as a sustainable form of transportation and recreation.
- We strive to increase bicycling as a form of recognized transportation. In addition we encourage use of public transit and pedestrian modes of transportation.
- We embrace the diversity of people through cycling as well as encourage partnership among the different local cycling populations.
- We work with community partners and sponsors to provide bicycles and bicycle safety products to limited income individuals and children at reduced cost.
- We commit to providing a long-term programming to further the above values.